Thursday, January 22, 2009

Time traveling

When I was making preparations for this trip and thinking about the travel to Thailand, my friend Allyson told me not to even bother trying to figure out how long each flight segment would be, what time it would be in which location, etc. I did not appreciate how accurate that was until now!! I have arrived in Bangkok (and so did my backpack-bless the baggage gods!!)...now some undeterminable number of hours from when I started out. I rented a room for 6 hours to shower and regroup until 4:30 this morning, and then back at it. It is difficult to convey my sense of displacement and the lack of sense of "time" that I have right now. I am in a hotel in Bangkok, but really could be anywhere. In between reading and laps around the Seoul airport past an endless stream of the same "duty free" stores, I found Facebook to be a welcome distraction (just like home?), and was able to chat with a few folks. It was a fascinating thing to contemplate our construction of "time zones" as I chatted real-time (literally) with someone across the world...

If all goes as planned, I will be in Lao People's Republic this time tomorrow evening!

1 comment:

  1. Something to be said for being flexible...right? Sounds like things are going well thus far and I can't wait to hear more. I'm so glad you have decided to blog so I can keep up with you. Good Luck!
    Gretti

    ReplyDelete