Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Getting crabby with Krabi

Most everything on my trip so far has been not exactly what I expected, and usually something much better than what I expected. Tonsai Beach/Railay is the one exception to that. This was my first stop to explore Thailands beaches/ocean, and I wonder now if my previous post was less about me being a bit too spacey, and more about the Universe guiding me off my planned path to Krabi! As soon as I got there I knew it wasn't where I wanted to be. Don't get me wrong, it is gorgeous-stunning really. Tonsai and the whole area are one of the world's rock climbing meccas and it's got a fun vibe for sure. That said, the longtail boats coming in and out of the bay NONSTOP (and these are definitely not 4-stroke engines!) are so noisy and dirty that there is actually a haze in the air. It is a closed area, so all electricity for the tourism industry is by huge generators, also very noisy. It made me sad, really...such a beautiful place taking such a big hit-and that's only the resources you can see/hear, let alone what's going on underwater and to the natural resources in the area. It reminds me of some of our major controversies, like snowmobiles in Yellowstone for example....but there is definitely no limit on anything here, and no real move towards that. Anyways, I changed paths this morning and headed out...now on my way to Koh Phangan via bus and night ferry. Hasta la vista Krabi!

1 comment:

  1. Tears are worth more than money.
    Tears are blood distilled into water.
     
    Pay attention to those who want to change
    so badly that they cry and dissolve
    into loving-kindness and freedom

    ReplyDelete