Sunday, February 15, 2009

Finding balance...off the yoga mat

One thing I learned after a couple years whitewater kayaking was that when negotiating rapids, you have to find a balance between effort and surrender to the power of the river. If you put in too much effort when it's not necessary you will exhaust yourself, or perhaps tense up too much and be more prone to tipping over when you encounter an obstacle, and you just end up working way harder than you need to. But if you "go with the flow" too much, you'll also just get knocked around. So there's balance between the two, just like on the yoga mat, rock wall, and life in general. During my yoga immersion, my focus was to really surrender and let go to whatever might happen or come up, and to let go of needing to know who, what, when, how, and why. I felt great about my progress and left after practice today with this trance-like feeling of ease. But then I promptly missed my plane out of Bangkok, decided to take the train to Krabi instead and missed that too. Ok then...guess I need to bring 'er on back down and find a better balance between effort and surrender before I float away!

So, now I'm booked on an overnight train to Surat Thani (wasn't planning to go there, but it's in the right general direction). I leave Bangkok at 11 pm tonight and arrive there around 8 am.

3 comments:

  1. Quite and adventure Kendra! Can't wait to hear what wonderful thing/s came from your alternate route you didn't plan.
    I sure would like to know how to go about learning that balance you mention. May be life's greatest lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, but I'm sure Ragon is thinking that there was a reason for all of this to happen and that you had an opportunity and an experience that planning wouldn't have brought to your door. Me, I'm all for the balance thing and like your mom, would really like to figure that one out too!!!
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to chatting about both perspectives with all you wonderful ladies in a couple weeks!!! I agree with both!
    love to you, can't wait to see you!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete